Thursday, May 26, 2022

Athena Cat

 

Athena was my first cat.  She was a large fuzzball that had all of our dogs under her control.  I have old 8mm film of her making our lab, Juno, kneel down.  She was an excellent mouser.  When she passed on I did not have a cat for five years, which is unusual for me to think about.  I don't have many pictures of her, which makes me a little sad.  Kids are dumb that way.  I named her Athena because she was gray, and the Goddess Athena has gray eyes and gray hair.  I had already decided Athena was my favorite of the Greek deities, so it was a natural fit.

We did have the habit of naming our pets after various goddesses.  Mom didn't want male animals, so I have never had one.  I have been around many male cats, and they have always been great.  Perhaps the next one I get will be a male.

No comments: