Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Bubo

Pity poor Bubo.  Always derided as an outright R2D2 ripoff (and there is something to that, we can admit that, right?) there were also plenty of robots present in Greek mythology, and since Talos had been in a movie already, Bubo isn't that bad.  He serves a purpose in the movie and is pretty darn cute.  He also adds some much needed humor to a movie that is far too serious for its own good for too much  of the running time.  This mechanical owl isn't really one of the problems of this movie.

The worst scene with ol' Bubo occurs at the very end of the movie, where the poor little robot has a broken leg.  The audience sees Bubo with a bandage and a crutch, and that is the last image we see of the owl in the movie.  It is over the top and ridiculous.  I took this picture several years ago at some San Diego Comic Con I was at, but danged if I can remember which one.  I love owls, but I was not about to drop that much money on anything.
 

No comments: