Tuesday, May 17, 2022

the Marvel Superheroes have Arrived!


I never saw these as a kid, and didn't know any of the production history about them.  I saw them advertised in Famous Monsters and finally purchased one when they showed up at the local K-Mart.  I twas not ready for just how limited the animation was.  I had expected it to be like the Spider-Man cartoon or Hanna-Barbera.  It was disappointing to the younger me to say the least.  I never got any more of them on 8mm because of that, and kind of looked down on them for a long time.  Dang, that pickle was not pleasant, I'll tell you what.

Nowadays I really enjoy them.  It is fun to see all the different artists have their actual art animated.  The voice acting is interesting, as some of the voices don't quite match what I would think they should have sounded like, but I bet had I heard them back then those would be the voices I expected.  They pretty much adapted the stories right from the comic books, and some are dated.  Lots of violence and death is still around though.  I could have done without the sound effects, but as Batman had set the tone, I suppose it was inevitable.  The cartoons are not available on DVD or Blu Ray in this country, but I think an R2 set was released in England a while back.

No comments: