Thursday, December 29, 2022

100 years of Stan Lee

 

Stan Lee would have turned 100 years old yesterday.  He, along with his vast array of co-creators, brought to life so many memorable characters that still live on.  The first character he created was the Mighty Destroyer, way back in the early 40s.  I knew none of this when I started reading comic books, but I did notice his name was all over the place.  I was happy to have met him a time or two over the years, but wish that I had thanked him for all the memories he provided.  He was a great man, and also a great showman.

Some fans think he deliberately overshadowed his co-creators, but it seems to me Stan was just being Stan.  I think Jack Kirby would have loved doing cameos in movies as well (he did a few before he passed I think).  Ditko never would have done them, but that was him.  I miss Stan and am so glad his legacy survives.

1 comment:

Danny Coffin said...

Stan addressed that very issue in the documentary '' WITH GREAT POWER ... '' Starting in the early 70's , any time Stan was interviewed the interviewing journalist would just go on and on about '' Oh , wow ! You're the creator of the Marvel Universe ! '' Initially , Stan would try to credit Jack Kirby , Steve Ditko , Don Heck and the others but after a while he just gave up . He did express deep remorse and regret over this in the doc .