Saturday, April 1, 2023

The New Adventures of Jonny Quest

In 1986 The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera syndication package debuted these thirteen new episodes of Jonny Quest.  Since my area never had cool syndicated packages, I never saw these episodes until long after I read about them.  When I did see an episode or two, I was not impressed.  The animation wasn't as good (no surprise there) and there was a sci-fi bent to them.  I also figured the violence would toned down as well, like most Hanna-Barbera shows at the time.  So I have mostly ignored the show.

However, since I have been doing research on the original Jonny Quest I decided I should check this series out.  It is really nice to be able to get the whole series now.  And I am happy to admit it is quite enjoyable overall.  The animation is better than some of that time frame's shows, and the voice acting is good, though Jonny sounds very young.  The theme has been updated, which is OK.

Surprisingly, the action is pretty good, and villains actually die.  I wish it had been 26 episodes, rather than 13.
 

No comments: