Monday, April 17, 2023

Super Friends 1973

 

I finally caved and bought this first set of eight episodes from the first season of Super Friends.  I have not seen most of these episodes for probably fifty years or so.  I watched some of the other seasons intermittently, since I felt so betrayed by the portrayal of this Justice League.  I was quite salty about this show for many years.  The show ran for fifteen years on ABC, and changed nearly every season.  It got better in the 80s, but by then, I had jobs and things that took me away from Saturday morning cartoons.  I let my thoughts of this season taint all the rest of them.  Ah, to be young and ever so foolish!

Watching the first episode now, I was surprised at how much I remembered about it.  Sir Cedric Cedric, the alien, the plot.  I had forgotten much of how it transpired, though.  I was impressed by the acting, though the script needed to be tightened up a bit.  Danny Dark as Superman yelled a lot, but the rest of the cast was quite good.  Ace voice actor Frank Welker is Marvin White, and... well, the less said about him and Wonder Dog the better.  Wendy Harris is voiced by Sherri Alberoni, AKA Alexandra Cabot.  So I like her, and her super power is being smarter than Marvin.

So far, I like it more than I thought I would.  The series is two sets long.  No Blu-Ray set at this time.

No comments: