Saturday, September 11, 2021

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)

 

I watched this again last night.  I haven't seen it for probably ten years or so, if not longer.  I really enjoyed it, in more ways than just the great storytelling that was present.  The way it was directed, filmed, the sets and especially the miniatures were all amazing.  It really is a great movie.  It was Disney's first big budget feature and it was a huge success.  I remember seeing it in the theater in Keyser, WV, probably in 1974, if that's when it was re-released.  The squid attack was amazing to me then, and it's even more impressive knowing how they had to film it, with wires and a massive prop.  I love that scene!

It won the Oscar for Best Special Effects, but that's only because Godzilla (1954) wasn't released over here.  Yes, I know, that would never have happened.  I'll also tell you "Whale of a Tale" is a fun song to play on the guitar.


No comments: