Friday, September 17, 2021

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)


This is a great looking movie,  It is so colorful. It's also a pretty good adaption of the book, with the addition of the villain and the girls.  I liked it as a kid, but I think I like the Filmation cartoon more, since it actually has dinosaurs in it.  Scottish Professor Oliver Lindenbrook takes Alex McEwen, Carla Goteborg, Hanz and Gertrude about eleven miles into the mantle of the earth.  They are followed by the evil Count Saknussemm, who believes the whole inside of the Earth belongs to him.  He's not in the book, but it's a good addition to give the movie some conflict and drama.

I decided to watch it after viewing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea the other day.  I have seen the movie many times, but never remember all the bits before they get to Iceland.

I do wish they hadn't used lizards.  They work pretty well, though they are just lizards.  It's hard to be scared of them, no matter how big they are made out to be, or even how well photographed they are.  They are just lizards.

No comments: